Friday, January 18, 2008

She is safe!






Last night Marty and I came far too close to every parent’s worst nightmare. We could not find one of our children.

Kristen left our home around 9 last night. I always call her around the time I know she will be home just to make sure she makes it safely into her apartment. She lives about 30 minutes from us. I called her cell phone at 10:15......just to make sure she was safe. No answer. I kept calling........and calling. No answer. I got worried. Marty got worried, too. He decided to drive up to her apartment just to make sure she was okay. I was still calling her.

When Marty arrived her car was in the parking lot and it was locked. He went up to her apartment and knocked. No answer. He banged on the door and shouted her name. No answer. I was on the phone listening to him. My heart was in my throat and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I was terrified and I was praying. A police officer who happened to be in the parking lot asked Marty if something was wrong. Marty explained the situation to him. We didn’t know where Kristen’s roommate was or how to contact her. The police officer took a description of Kristen and started helping Marty find her roommate.

To make a long story short, Lola is fine. She was sound asleep in her apartment in her room in her bed...... THANK YOU, LORD!

Her roommate came home and one of the police officers saw her going to the apartment and told her that he needed to see Lola. She was awakened from her peaceful slumber and she immediately called me when she was told what was going on. When I saw her phone number come up on the caller ID I didn’t know if I should be excited or terrified of what I would hear when I answered. I heard her sleepy voice say, “Mama, what in the world is going on? The police are in my living room!” Ahhhhhhh....what a beautiful sound. My Lola’s voice. My baby. My heart. THANK YOU, LORD!!!

Thank you so much to everyone in the CHI family for your prayers last night and today and for your calls. I am so blessed to be a part of such a phenomenal bunch of people and I am so honored to call of you my friends. I love you all!!

Lola........I love you. We have been through so much in these almost 21 years together. You’ve gone from my curly headed little blonde daughter to my sophisticated, red-headed, (sometimes redneck) daughter with the singing voice of an angel. I just can’t tell you how much I love you! I am so proud of you! :)

2 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I am so glad she's okay! My heart was racing as I read this! Praise God! Hugs to you, mama

Dawn said...

WOW, I can't even begin to imagine the sheer terror you must have felt! I'm so glad to hear she is safe!